Nigerian herbs for waist pain
When it comes to managing waist pain, natural remedies are often the most effective. Nigerian herbs, in particular, have long been used to treat this condition successfully.
We’ll look at different Nigerian herbs that can be used to relieve waist pain and improve overall health.
What is herbal medicine?
The World Health Organization defines herbal medicine as “the sum total of knowledge, skills, and practices based on the theories, beliefs, and experiences indigenous to different cultures, used in the maintenance of health as well as in the prevention, diagnosis, improvement or treatment of physical and mental illness.”
This effectively means that WHO recognizes traditional medicine as a means of treating people with infections. In fact, WHO developed a traditional medicine strategy for 2002-2005 and went ahead to update it for 2014-2023.
Benefits of using herbal medicine
For good reason, herbal medicine has been used for thousands of years. There are numerous advantages to using herbal remedies for a variety of health problems.
- Fewer Side Effects: One of the primary advantages of using herbal medicine is that it has fewer side effects than prescription drugs. While prescription medications frequently have a laundry list of potential side effects, many herbal remedies are much gentler on the body and have few, if any, negative effects.
- Increased Nutritional Value: Herbal remedies are frequently high in nutrients, which can provide a variety of health benefits. Turmeric and ginger, for example, are known for their anti-inflammatory properties, while chamomile and valerian root can help improve mood and promote relaxation.
- More Affordable: Many herbal remedies are less expensive than their prescription counterparts. Prescription drugs can be expensive, especially if you need to take them for an extended period of time. Herbal remedies, on the other hand, are generally less expensive, making them an excellent choice for those on a tight budget.
- Complementary to Modern Medicine: You do not have to choose between conventional and herbal medicine. Many herbal remedies can be used alongside prescription drugs to promote overall health and well-being.
- More Natural: Herbal remedies are completely natural, and many people prefer them to prescription medications. There’s something comforting about using natural remedies, and many people feel better about using these types of treatments for their health issues.
- Environmentally Friendly: Many prescription drugs can have a significant environmental impact. Prescription drug manufacturing consumes a lot of resources and can contribute to pollution. Herbal remedies, on the other hand, are frequently much more environmentally friendly because they rely solely on natural resources.
Risks of using herbal medicine
As the popularity of herbal medicine continues to grow, it is important to consider the potential dangers associated with its use.
- Herbal medicine can sometimes interact with medication either by enhancing its effects or causing negative side effects. For instance, a popular herbal supplement known as John’s Wort used for treating depression may interact with medications for HIV and depression.
- Another risk of using herbal medicine is the contamination of the herbal products. For prescription medications, the FDA regulates their production but this is not the same for herbal products.
- Some herbal supplements have been found to contain harmful contaminants including heavy metals and pesticides.
- Individuals with certain medical conditions may be more vulnerable to the negative effects of herbal medicine. People with liver or kidney disease, for example, should avoid certain herbal remedies because they may further damage these organs.
- Herbal medicine can also interfere with hormones, making it potentially dangerous for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Nigerian herbs for waist pain
- Siam weed
Ginger is a widely used culinary ingredient and medicinal herb that is available in dried and fresh forms. It can be consumed as a tea or capsule. This plant is an underground stem that is also used in traditional medicine.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that make it reduce pain and swelling. There are many cases where ginger has been linked to arthritis treatment because pain and inflammation are causes of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
But the chemical called gingerol in ginger is anti-inflammatory. A study carried out on 247 patients who had osteoarthritis felt relief after taking the ginger extract.
Turmeric, an herb related to ginger has medicinal purposes too. Just like ginger, it has antioxidation and anti-inflammatory properties that make it relevant for pain relief.
According to research, turmeric can relieve inflammation-related pain in both the upper and lower back due to its ability to reduce the body’s natural inflammatory response.
Turmeric, which contains potent antioxidant properties, can also improve immune system response. The study revealed that turmeric has lots of benefits for knee pain.
3. Siam weed
Chromolaena Odorata, commonly known as Siam Weed, bitter bush, Christmas bush, archangel, camphor grass, common floss flower, or communist green, is a weed plant that belongs to the Asteraceae family.
It has various local names such as (Akintọla’s leaf) and Ewé Awolọwọ (Awolọwọ’s leaf). (Yoruba), Obiara Ohuu, Ewu ata (Igbo).
In Igboland, it is called “Obiarakara,” which means “stranger which arrived and started lording” – evidence of its sudden arrival on Nigerian shores in 1960, around the time of Nigeria’s independence.
Chromolaena odorata leaves contain phenol, alkaloids, triterpenoid, tannin, flavonoids, limonene, and other nutrients.
They have been reported to have several health benefits, including pain relief. To relieve body/back pain, it is recommended to take half a glass cup of Chromolaena Odorata leaves in the morning and evening for a week.
Inform your healthcare provider about any herbal supplements you use so they can keep an eye out for potential drug interactions or side effects. It is possible to safely enjoy the benefits that herbal medicine has to offer.
To reduce the risks associated with herbal medicine, it is critical to conduct research and only buy from reputable manufacturers.
Furthermore, always adhere to the recommended dose on the label and never exceed it.
Last Updated on September 9, 2023 by Our Editorial Team